Director General of the European Union Military Staff
|Director General of the European Union Military Staff|
Vice Admiral Hervé Bléjean
since 30 June 2020
|European Union Military Staff|
|Reports to||High Representative, Military Committee|
|Seat||Kortenberg building, Brussels, Belgium|
|Term length||3 years|
|Formation||11 June 2001; 21 years ago (11 June 2001)|
|First holder||Rainer Schuwirth|
|Deputy||Deputy Director General of the European Union Military Staff|
The Director General of the European Union Military Staff (DGEUMS) is the head of the European Union Military Staff (EUMS) who also serves as Director of the Military Planning and Conduct Capability (Dir MPCC). This position, which was established in 2001, is held by a three-star general, the current holder is vice admiral Hervé Bléjean, occupied the position since June 2020.
The Director General is responsible for the EUMS' work in providing strategic advice to the High Representative (HR), reporting to the European Union Military Committee (EUMC) - representing member states' Chiefs of Defence - and performing "early warning", situation assessment and strategic planning.
Since 2017 DGEUMS has also served as Director of the Military Planning and Conduct Capability (MPCC), and as such assumes the function of the single commander for all non-executive military missions of the European Union (EU), exercising command and control over the current three training Missions and other possible future operations. Presently the MPCC may only run non-executive operations. By the end of 2020 the MPCC will also be capable of running executive operations of up to 2500 troops, i.e. the size of one battle group.
Relation with the rest of the Military Staff, the High Representative and Military Committee
The relationship between the High Representative, the Military Staff and Military Committee as of November 2017: Colour key:
High Representative (a Vice-President of the Commission)
Military Committee (EUMC; a Council body)
Military Staff (EUMS; a Directorate-General of the External Action Service)
Working Group/Headline Goal Task Force
|Director General EUMS/|
|Legal advisor||Deputy Director General||Horizontal Coordination|
|Assistant Chief of Staff for Synchronisation||EU cell at SHAPE||EU Liaison at the UN in NY||Assistant Chief of Staff for External Relations||NATO Permanent Liaison Team|
|Concepts & Capabilities|
|Communications & Information Systems|
|Military Planning and|
Conduct Capability (MPCC)
Role in the command and control structure
- Liaison: Advice and recommendations Support and monitoring Preparatory work
|Political strategic level:|
|ISS||EUCO Pres. (EUCO)||Chain of command|
|INTCEN||HR/VP (PMG)||HR/VP (PSC)|| |
|Military/civilian strategic level:|
Dir MPCC (MPCC)
|JSCC||Civ OpCdr CPCC|
|CC Land||CC Air||CC Mar||Other CCs|
- 1 In the event of a CSDP Civilian Mission also being in the field, the relations with the Civilian Planning and Conduct Capability (CPCC) and its Civilian Operation Commander (Civ OpCdr), as well as the subordinate Head of Mission (HoM), are coordinated as shown.
- 2 Other Component Commanders (CCs) and service branches which may be established.
- 3 The MPCC is part of the EUMS and Dir MPCC is double-hatted as DGEUMS. Unless the MPCC is used as Operation Headquarters (OHQ), either a national OHQ offered by member states or the NATO Command Structure (NCS) would serve this purpose. In the latter instance, Deputy Supreme Allied Commander Europe (DSACEUR), rather than Dir MPCC, would serve as Operation Commander (OpCdr).
- 4 Unless the MPCC is used as Operation Headquarters (OHQ), the MFCdr would be known as a Force Commander (FCdr), and direct a Force Headquarters (FHQ) rather than a MFHQ. Whereas the MFHQ would act both on the operational and tactical level, the FHQ would act purely on the operational level.
- 5 The political strategic level is not part of the C2 structure per se, but represents the political bodies, with associated support facilities, that determine the missions' general direction. The Council determines the role of the High Representative (HR/VP), who serves as Vice-President of the European Commission, attends European Council meetings, chairs the Foreign Affairs Council (FAC) and may chair the Political and Security Committee (PSC) in times of crisis. The HR/VP proposes and implements CSDP decisions.
- 6 Same composition as Committee of Permanent Representatives (COREPER) II, which also prepares for the CSDP-related work of the FAC.
List of holders
|No.||Portrait||Director General||Took office||Left office||Time in office||Defence branch||Nationality|
|1||Schuwirth, RainerLieutenant General|
Rainer Schuwirth [de]
|11 June 2001||1 March 2004||2 years, 264 days||German Army||Germany|
|2||Schuwirth, RainerLieutenant General|
|1 March 2004||28 February 2007||2 years, 364 days||French Army||France|
|3||Leakey, DavidLieutenant General|
|1 March 2007||28 May 2010||3 years, 88 days||British Army||United Kingdom|
|4||Osch, TonLieutenant General|
Ton van Osch
|28 May 2010||28 May 2013||3 years, 0 days||Royal Netherlands Army||Netherlands|
|5||Wosolsobe, WolfgangLieutenant General|
|28 May 2013||1 May 2016||2 years, 339 days||Austrian Land Forces||Austria|
|6||Pulkkinen, EsaLieutenant General|
|1 May 2016||30 June 2020||4 years, 60 days||Finnish Army||Finland|
|7||Bléjean, HervéVice Admiral|
|30 June 2020||Incumbent||2 years, 81 days||French Navy||France|
|Name||Photo||Nationality||Term began||Term ended|
|Rear Admiral Bruce Williams||United Kingdom||2011||2015|
|Rear Admiral Waldemar Głuszko||Poland||2015||2017|
|Major General Giovanni Manione||Italy||2017||2022|
|Major General Gábor Horváth||Hungary||2022|
- High Representative of the Union for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy
- Chairman of the European Union Military Committee
- Chairman of the NATO Military Committee
- Supreme Allied Commander Europe
- Director of the Civilian Planning and Conduct Capability
- ^ "You are being redirected..." finabel.org. Retrieved 2021-09-18.
- ^ https://cdn4-eeas.fpfis.tech.ec.europa.eu/cdn/farfuture/aGKF41zrLDLuNeg8csm24scxmjEwj4JBvrRbaLeaY4M/mtime:1542656575/sites/eeas/files/mpcc_factsheet_november_2018.pdf[bare URL PDF]
- ^ https://eeas.europa.eu/sites/eeas/files/impetus_24_dp_final_1.pdf
- ^ EU Command and Control, p. 13, Military Staff
- ^ http://www.council-tvnewsroom.eu/video/eums-change-of-command-extract[permanent dead link]
|Change of command ceremony on 28 May 2013, YouTube video|
|Change of command ceremony in 2016, YouTube video|
- CV of Director General Pulkkinen, Europa.eu